Because I receive so many work-related messages via social media, here’s the note I offer in response:
Thank you for connecting me into your social media world. I enjoy social media as a way of staying in touch with the work of artists, as well as family and friends, across Australia and around the world. Together, we can harness our thinking and develop the ideas and the advocacy that stimulate important public discussion.
NAVA’s community is vast – and growing – with well over 50,000 Friends, Followers and Members, plus countless others who aren’t formally connected or subscribed. Among so many of us, it’s not possible to respond to work-related matters via social media – and indeed, that’s never helpful! Quite often I’m checking in on social media only while I’m in transit between meetings, which is not the best context for responding to your specific matter or formally recording the outcomes.
For its ease of information-sharing, uncluttered design and emphasis on brevity, Twitter is my preferred platform. I keep social media social, and I try to take time to join public social media discussions when I can, as well as live-tweeting key public forums and events to extend their impact.
Please note that I do not:
- respond to specific NAVA Membership matters on social media, including requests for professional development support, mentoring or dispute mediation
- respond to direct messages about work-related matters on any social media platform
- accept invitations to join groups, nor permit my user accounts to be added to groups
- participate in dispute discussions – even and indeed especially when I have been tagged into a thread on the expectation that I will participate, mediate or resolve
- promote your business
- tolerate abuse nor respond to trolls, who are reported and blocked without exception.
For all matters relating to your NAVA Membership, please contact the NAVA office directly:
For all meeting requests, please contact the NAVA office, noting that one of my colleagues will be able to speak with you sooner than I can.
For all media enquiries, please contact NAVA’s publicist, Jane Morey at Morey Media on 0416 097 678.
Periodically – once a month or so – I share this policy on social media, and link to it as a response to direct messages.
My thanks for your understanding,
IMAGE: Listening and live-tweeting at Future/Forward. Photograph by Zan Wimberley.