Please note that I do not use social media direct messages.
Because I receive so many work-related messages via social media, here’s the note I offer in response:
Thank you for connecting me into your social media world. I enjoy social media as a way of staying in touch with the work of artists, as well as family and friends, across Australia and around the world. Together, we can harness our thinking and develop the ideas and the advocacy that stimulate important public discussion.
NAVA’s community is vast – and growing – with well over 50,000 Friends, Followers and Members, plus countless others who aren’t formally connected or subscribed. Among so many of us, it’s not possible to respond to work-related matters via social media – and indeed, that’s never helpful! Quite often I’m checking in on social media only while I’m in transit between meetings, which is not the best context for responding to your specific matter or formally recording the outcomes.
I keep social media social, and I try to take time to join public social media discussions when I can, as well as live-tweeting key public forums and events to extend their impact. For its ease of information-sharing, uncluttered design and emphasis on brevity, Twitter is my preferred platform.
Please note that I do not:
- read nor respond to social media direct messages including Facebook Messenger, LinkedIn messages, Twitter or Instagram DMs (sadly it’s impossible to disable these, and so I include a prominent message in my bios for each platform to make it clear that I do not respond to DMs) – please note that I do not monitor these accounts
- respond to specific NAVA Membership matters on social media
- respond to social media requests for professional development support, mentoring or dispute mediation
- participate in dispute discussions – even and indeed especially when I have been tagged into a thread on the expectation that I will participate, mediate or resolve
- accept invitations to join groups, nor permit my user accounts to be added to groups
- promote your business
- tolerate abuse nor respond to trolls, who are reported and blocked without exception.
For all matters relating to your NAVA Membership, please contact the NAVA office directly:
For all meeting requests, please contact the NAVA office, noting that one of my colleagues will be able to speak with you sooner than I can.
Periodically – once a month or so – I share this policy on social media. I look forward to connecting with you there.
My thanks for your understanding,
IMAGE: Listening and live-tweeting at Future/Forward. Photograph by Zan Wimberley.