What role do the public broadcaster and the arts play in maintaining a thriving democracy? What is their role both locally and nationally? How should the arts and public interest journalism be funded? How do independents support strong communities and a thriving democracy?
This Monday night, 16 May, at 7:30pm join us for a lively panel discussion exploring these questions and more. Nicolette Boele will be leading this discussion and will be joined on the panel by:
- Kerry O’Brien – Prominent Australian journalist and author, who has won 6 Walkley Awards, and a Logie for public Affairs coverage.
- Nate Gilkes – Award-winning musician and Artistic director, he is the Artistic Director at Marian Street Theatre for Young People.
- Lara Merrett – Australian visual artist, winner of numerous art prizes including the recent Ravenswood Australian Women’s Art Prize.
- Cathy McGowan – First independent for Indi, and the first female independent to sit on the parliamentary crossbench.
- And our host, independent candidate for Bradfield, Nicolette Boele.
The conversation will be moderated by Esther Anatolitis, one of Australia’s leading advocates for arts, culture, and the creative industries.
IMAGE: The Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House, obscured by bushfire smoke. Photo by Esther Anatolitis.